Thursday, October 25, 2012

Technology is now brighter than I am

Technology is amazing. We have a Foundry Great Day of Service coming up on Saturday, Nov. 3, and I just signed up to participate by going here and clicking the blue button that looks like this.

The blue button took me to a list of 12 different projects I could sign up for. I chose  Calvary Place. The description for this project said: "Help clean up this historic building that will soon be transformed into supportive housing for homeless individuals."

But I also could have chosen the Foundry Card Factory. " Help make cards for members of Foundry who are sick, celebrating a birthday, or anniversary. We'll also be making Christmas cards to hand out to clients at the Friday Walk-In Mission's annual Christmas party."

Or I could have chosen Jubilee Jobs. "Work with individuals seeking employment to conduct mock job interviews." That sounds exciting!

And by clicking the button that looks like this, I automatically added Great Day of Service to my Outlook. 

I think I really want to spend Nov. 3 helping to clean the grounds around Calvary Place. I am still tempted, however, by the opportunities to help cook a meal at Christ House or to help prepare vegetable garden beds for winter at the Transitional Housing Corporation.

Shortly after I signed up, I got this email:
 
Here's a message from your VolunteerSpot organizer, Kevin Wright, Director of Social Justice Ministries:
Dear Dean Snyder,
Thank you for signing up for Foundry Great Day of Service. You have the following upcoming commitment(s):
For Saturday, November 03
  • Calvary Place (1 spot) - Kids welcome! Help clean up this historic building that will soon be transformed into supportive housing for homeless individuals.
PLEASE KEEP THIS EMAIL MESSAGE - it's your link for accessing your signup at anytime in the future.
 I notice that I can still change my mind about which project I want to help do.

Technology is brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment